One cannot think of a greater spinner than legendary leg-spinner Shane Warne. The epitome of spin bowling died of a heart attack in Thailand at the age of 52. Warne was also popular all over the world due to his lifestyle with his unmatchable bowling. His leg-spin and googlies remained mysteries for even the world’s greatest batsmen. The path changing balls of Warne used to leave batsmen nonplussed.
With a slouched cap, his persona on the field was noticeable. Discerning his next ball was almost impossible for the greatest hitters. However, his proclivity for bantering always kept him in the headlines. Shane Warne’s contribution to making Australia the most formidable cricket team in the world at the beginning of this century was prime. The headlines made by the spin wizard, howbeit, were not always regarding cricket. The Aussie spinner had a career full of controversies. Let’s have a look at some of his greatest achievements as well as controversies.
Warne’s wall of fame:
- Shane Warne became the first bowler in the world to reach the milestones of 600 as well as 700 wickets in Test cricket. He completed 600 wickets in the Old Trafford Test against England in 2005. In 2006, Warne also crossed the 700-wicket mark against England in Melbourne. His record was later broken by Sri Lanka’s legendary off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan.
- Warne is still the highest wicket-taker leg spinner. India’s Anil Kumble is at number two with 619 wickets.
- Warne got the most success in Test cricket against England. The leg spinner was a nightmare for English batsmen. Against the British, Warne took 195 wickets in 36 Tests at an average of 23.25. He also took more than 100 wickets against New Zealand (103) and South Africa (130).
- Indian Premier League (IPL) is currently the biggest league in the world. Shane Warne became the first captain to win the IPL title. In 2008, he led Rajasthan Royals to the title under his captaincy.
- Shane Warne was also a very effective bowler in ODI cricket. Warne played an important role in making Australia the champion in the 1999 World Cup. He bagged the man of the match in Australia’s two most important matches in this tournament, the semi-finals (against South Africa) and the final (against Pakistan).
- His ‘ball of the century’ will always remain a treat for cricket lovers. Warne bamboozled English batsman Mike Gatting on June 4, 1993. He pitched the ball outside of leg-stump and the whizzing ball turned so abruptly mid-air that it struck the off-stump.
Warne in Controversies:
- Warne’s addiction to cigarettes and alcohol can be considered a major reason behind the heart attack at such a young age. Warne was seen smoking a cigarette on the ground several times. Also, he used to over-drinking. In 2007, Warne was caught smoking during the series being played in Newland. Two young boys captured a picture of Warne smoking in their mobiles. Warne also had a fight with these boys over these pictures of smoking.
- He was also banned for one year from playing cricket for drugs and indiscipline.
- Warne’s image was first tainted in 2000 when a British nurse, Donna Wright accused Warne of sending obscene messages. Donna accused Warne that Warne pressurizes her to have a relationship.
- Not only this, in 2003, a stripper named Angela once again accused Warne of sending obscene messages.
- In 2006, a magazine published a photo of Warne in which Warne was with two models. Models claimed that Warne had an affair with her. One of the models said that Warne is quite fit, he completely satisfied both of us.
- In January 2015, a 43-year-old woman revealed her sexual relationship with Shane Warne.
- When Warne got divorced after living with his wife for 10 years, many women came into his life. According to the report of Daily Mail, a total of 10 women have come into Shane Warne’s life so far.
- There were also allegations of match-fixing. Shane Warne, who visited Sri Lanka in 1994, admitted that he and his teammate Mark Waugh used to inform an Indian bookie about the pitch and weather conditions before the match. In return, he used to get a hefty amount from the bookie.
- Warne was also accused of assault by a porn star while smoking in the field.